Monday 9 May 2011

I am whoever you say I am!

I am a muslim.
I am whoever I want to be and don't expect you to be anything like me.


Here's the misconception...I choose to pray 5 times a day, I choose to believe in the One God - Allah. Why? Because I believe in free will. I can make whatever decisions I like, whenever I like! I DO NOT expect the same from you! I'm sick of people thinking I want them to be like me or I see you as less significant because you don't believe what I believe or do as I do!

I am going to be held accountable for MY actions not yours! I neither see you as inferior to me or less of a human. In the (metaphorical) eyes of God your manners may win you more rewards, your acts of generosity may outshine mine, your ability to remain patient may out do mine. Only God has the right to judge you.

I have met many different people, in fact, within my own family I have a variety of characters! I know, no matter what anyone else thinks, nothing is as black and white as it may seem. Just as I have no right to judge you from an external point of view, you also do not have that right.

I dress a certain way because I choose to, there was a time in my life when I chose not to. I am more than my outwardly appearance, talk to me and you will find a girl who within 21 years has seen and lived more than a person in their 50's. I have knowledge not just on my faith, Islam, but on Hinduism, Judaism, Christianity, Zoroastrian and many more. I have witnessed police brutality, domestic violence, racism and so much ugliness it's not worth mentioning - but it's something to learn from!

Next time you see a women dressed in an abayah and hijab, just remember, she too is human. She too has weaknesses and strengths just as you do. But also remember, you do not know her principles and way of life just by LOOKING at her, that you learn by getting to KNOW her.

No comments:

Post a Comment