Tuesday 12 July 2011

Its the Month I was born in!

July 30th I turn 22.

Omar Khadr is 24 yrs old going on to 25 in September.

Age 15 I was living a comfortable life, living with both my parents and siblings, going to school and getting an education.

Omar Khadr at age 15 was shot by American forces and dragged to Bagram prison. Only to then move to the notorious prison - Guantanamo Bay. He was being tortured and abused, while I sat in my Geography class learning about the different types of clouds.


November 7, 2005 Omar Khadr was formally charged. In 2005 I was probably revising for my GCSEs - my greatest concern was my education. His greatest concern was his freedom. Or had he lost hope by then?

Omar Khadrs' case has affected me like no other, maybe its because we are so close in age yet our lives have gone in total opposite directions. No child should have to go through what he has been through. His conviction tells us that many more will...

As of January 2009, 64% of Canadians supported repatriating Khadr to Canada, up from 41% in June 2007  - If anyone has the latest figures feel free to comment or tweet me to let me know.

Just spend a moment imagining your life having gone in an extremely different way...learn to be grateful for what you have. Yes, life was tough for you - but someone else always has it tougher. You cannot compare your domestic issues to the issue of human rights. This boy, at the the tender age of 15, was no longer considered human...no matter who he told, no matter what scars he had to show, no one was going to listen to him and no one was going to take him home to his mother.

This year, on the day you celebrate your birth, think of those who have lost touch with the years/months/days because there life is withering away in a prison that should never have been built and in a legal limbo that should never EVER have been able to go on for so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment