Sunday 24 July 2011

Oslo

What happened in Olso is a tragedy. Plain and simple.

But the initial reactions to what happened wasn't as plain nor as simple. Every major news outlet was trying to point the finger at Muslim extremists, and to be fair I think MOST people assumed it was.
I was at work when I found out, one of the guys I worked with commented that 'it's a strange country to attack because they're not that involved in the wars'. That told me instantly he meant Muslim extremists. But another colleague said that it may be neo-nazi groups becuase they are gaining momentum in many parts of Europe - if i'm honest that didn't even cross my mind!

Is the assumption justified? I don't know. I would say yes because that is what we are told on a daily basis and now come to expect it. My sister does not agree. She believes that we should not become desensitised and just accept that we will be blamed most, if not all, the time. I know she's right but how do we combat it? I don't know the answer to that. If I'm honest, I think its an impossible task. We cannot compete with the media, they portray Muslims in  a way that benefits them by selling stories & getting awards for great coverage!

As for the guy that committed these awful crimes...not once have I  heard him being referenced to as a terrorist, I guess that label depends on the length of a guys beard. Am I pissed off? Hell yes!! The fact he did this because he doesn't like the increasing multiculturalism is just ridiculous. That's the issue with far - right groups they work without logic and sense. The world is expanding, businesses and economies depend upon interdependent relationships that span across the globe. The harsh reality for these right wing groups is that people of different backgrounds/cultures/beliefs residing in their countries are going to increasing...without these people, without these workers, our economies, our understanding of different cultures would be lost.

When you view the world from a singular point of view, you miss out on so many colours, so many beautiful people and an amazing education! By working together we learn how to deal with problems in a mutual way rather than forcing ourselves upon each other and clashing. By working together we lessen the chance of people with extreme views influencing others, because the others have witnessed first hand the mutual respect between us all. By working together we eradicate our differences and begin to realise we are all one and the same - we are all human...

No comments:

Post a Comment