Sunday 31 July 2011

Ramadan

Ramadan has begun.

This month is all by restraining yourself and your desires, its a test of patience. Most people focus on the food aspect of it, whereas we should focus on all aspects. Refraining from food is just a tiny portion of what ramadan is all about, its also about refraining from bad speech, bad actions and bad manners. Although they are actions we should try and holdback from most of the time, with a rumbling stomach you find yourself more able to focus on these things.

This month makes me realise how fortunate I am. I'm not going to lie and say i never get hungry because I'm so spiritual blah blah...I'm human and I do feel hunger!! I know that when the sunsets I can break my fast and eat all that I want, whereas those around the world suffering from famines don't have that luxury. I can distract myself from the sound of my rumbling stomach with a book, listening to recitation of the quran, surfing the net...they don't have that luxury.

What bugs me the most when I tell people I'm fasting is when they reply with "ooohh that going to be tough, I just won't eat in front of you". That's the attitude that's left the poor and hungry, poorer and hungrier than ever before! You don't hide away from the issue, you face it. Yes, I'm choosing to fast so by all means eat in front of me, I couldn't care less. But when people are starving and dying because they have no choice DON'T hide away and eat in secret, eat openly but at the same time feed others.

I'm going to end this with what captivates me about this blessed month. All around the world there will be Muslims refraining from food, whether rich or poor, tall or short, black or white, we will all feel the hunger. We will, for a short period of time, feel what others feel when they cannot eat during the day. We will go through our daily chores, just as those in countries plagued with famine, on empty stomachs and sheer motivation. We know when it will end - they don't.

This month is not just about witholding it's also about giving. This month is the BEST month to give, so give generously to those less fortunate. Give with open hearts and pure intentions, because money given in charity is never a loss!

No comments:

Post a Comment