Sunday 18 December 2011

Kindness

We seriously under rate kindness.

If only we could display the awesomeness of kindness for the whole world to see, we'd all be trying to out do each other in it! It is kindness that gets us through the day, it is kindness that gives us hope and it is kindness that is the foundation of a happy home.

When your feeling down in the dumps and your parent/sibling/friend says not to worry its all going to be okay, you want to believe them but deep down you think 'Well obviously they're going to say that'. I don't do that. If someone i know is in a pretty bad situation I'm not going to sugar coat it. The truth is they are in a tough place. But what I am going to do is listen to every single word that comes out their mouth. Honestly, listening is one of the toughest skills to acquire - but once you do, you realise the true value of it! Kindness isn't just about smiling to strangers and making others feel good about themselves, it's about taking the time to get to know the individual that stands before you. It's about learning to adapt to the needs of other people. I know that I cannot behave with my co-workers the way i can with my friends. I know that sarcasm is not appreciated by some friends so do not use it, whereas with others it's an ongoing thing! I know, even through texts, when a friend is feeling down in the dumps and I know how to approach the issue too.

We live in a society that tells us we shouldn't have to change for anyone. We should not change our ways to suit others because that means we aren't doing what makes us happy! What a load of cods wallops! Its shit like that that's let yobs get away with so much! Those who are unwilling to adapt to different people and situations are the ones who are left behind.
When i talk about adapting I'm not talking about changing YOUR personality i'm talking about the way you address people, how you talk to one person differs to another. I, as a Muslim, have to pray 5 times a day. Even if I'm at work or in a shopping center. But how I go about it differs depending on where I am and who I'm with.When a women / man looks at me either trying to be intimidating or looking rather uncomfortable, I smile. A smile is a doorway to conversation, If the person is curious then he/she knows now is their chance to start a conversation, if not then they see that I am neither a threat nor am I easily intimidated!


I remember walking around town and an elderly man gave me way, so I smiled and thanked him. He said something that I will probably never forget : 'What a beautiful smile, you should show it off more often', not only did he make my day hopefully I too made him happy. How often do we under value something as simple as a smile - how stingy have we become!

And for those muslims out there reading this then here's something that should encourage you even more so :
Prophet Muhammad, upon whom be peace, once said: "Charity is prescribed for each descendant of Adam every day the sun rises."
He was then asked: "From what do we give charity every day?"
The Prophet answered: "The doors of goodness are many...enjoining good, forbidding evil, removing harm from the road, listening to the deaf, leading the blind, guiding one to the object of his need, hurrying with the strength of one's legs to one in sorrow who is asking for help, and supporting the feeble with the strength of one's arms--all of these are charity prescribed for you."
He then said: "Even your smile for your brother is a charity."

So in all seriousness - LETS GET SMILING!! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment